Friday, September 20, 2013

Just Something To Think About

Yesterday while waiting to pick up my kids, I found myself in the middle of a conversation about weather or not vaccinating your kids is a good idea.  There was one lady who has apparently done all the research, and is almost religiously against it.  She then went on to name all of these almost non existent  serious illness that she has had...some of them multiple times!  I of course didn't say anything because I'm not an "in your face" kind if person, but I was thinking to myself "geez lady your crazy to put yourself through that when you don't have to.  

This conversation got me thinking about how everyone has their own opinions on childhood vaccinations.  No one opinion is better than the other, just different.  Hey, that's why we live in America right?  So we can nake our own choices.  Well today I would like to tell you why I think childhood vaccinations are awesome, and why my kids will have every vaccine available to them.  

When I was very young, I'm talking only a few months old, my parents learned that I was not the average baby.  I was speaking in simple sentences at six months old, and at a little bit older I could spell hard words.  I specifically remember walking through a parking lot holding my aunts hand and having her ask me how to spell words like " elephant" all the way into a store. I remember her getting really excited every time I got a word right.   This may be one of only two memories that I have from "before"


One night when I was two years old, my parents went to check on me, only to find me very sick and having seazures.  My parents rushed me to the hospital down the street where they were told to prepare for my death because there was no hope.  I had bacterial meningitis.  A disease that I recently learned is where ecoli bacteria somehow find a way into the completely sealed off areas of your spinal chord and find their way to your brain where they literally eat your brain tissue!  Ultimately some pretty incredible things happened through the power of the Priesthood, and I am one of the lucky ones!  But that is not what this post is about.  

When I came out of an eleven day coma, I was completely blind, and totally paralyzed on my left side.  I had been left handed.  I also had a traumatic brain injury.  The portion of my brain that controls my eyesight was completely killed off!  From what I understand, if the bacteria gets that far, it means you're gona die!  

Over time, my brain remapped its self, a different portion of my brain took over my eyesight, and I CAN SEE!  almost as good as other oeople do!  I also relearned to walk, and regained the use of my left arm although I am right handed now.  

What does this have to do with childhood vaccinations you might ask.....we'll let me tell you......

THE VACINE FOR BACTERIAL MENENINGITIS WAS INVENTED SIX MONTHS AFTER I GOT THE DISEASE!!!!!

My parents were the kind of parents who chose to have us vaccinated, so I know that if the VACINE had been available, I would have had it!  

Today I am one of the lucky ones!  I have been blessed to be able to adapt and live a normal life!  And I am so grateful for that!  But although I look completely normal, there are some lasting effects that I will have to deal with for the rest of my life. Some of them  are noticed by others, like the fact that I can't drive, i just flat see through things when I'm tired, and I have to literally  move my whole head and not just my eyes when I read words across a page.  But what's even harder are the internal effects that not even those closest to me can see. Every once in a while I get a glimpse of that brilliant baby girl that used to be me, but most of the time  weather I'm making dinner, tying my shoes, or writing a blog post I literally have to think through things slowly, and really just take everything one step at a time.  It's all still there, I just have to take time to process through it.  Sometimes people notice that I'm slow when it comes to some things..... This is why.  I have also noticed that there is a very slight difference between the way that I move the the right and left sides of my body.  Luckily it's not noticeable, but it's interesting to feel the difference between the two sides when I work out.  

Ultimately I know why I have gone through what u have...at least to a small extent.  And it is something that I am actually very proud to say that I have gone through.  However, knowing first hand how hard it was, and still is, I know that I want to do everything in my power to protect my own kids from having to go through it.....or any other disease that I can protect them from!  

No comments:

Post a Comment