Friday, July 26, 2013

Making New Friends


A couple of weeks ago we were just getting home, when we saw the neighbor's grand kids playing with sidewalk chalk on the little front porch that we share.  While I was unlocking the door, the kids asked my kids if they wanted to play.  So that's exactly what they did and they had lots of fun.  

But thinking about that day still makes me laugh!  You see, our neighbor smokes, and Mackenzie was very bold in telling her what she thought about that!  

You see, The Word If Wisdom is something that has been talked about a lot in Primary lately, and we have also had a Family Home Evening about it.  So although my kids are not around people who smoke, or drink, they are very aware if what those things are, and they know exactly what cigarettes, alcohol, and drugs can do to someone who uses those things.  

So when the neighbor came outside cigarette in hand to watch her grand kids, Kenzie walked right up to her and asked "what is that?"  When she told her, Kenzie said AND I QUITE:  "You are being very naughty.  Are you TRYING to turn your lungs black?!"  The kids also each came running up to me a couple if times, making sure that I knew that what the neighbor was doing was "very bad!"  Kyle at least tried to whisper, although it wasn't exactly a quiet whisper.  

Luckily the neighbor was very nice about the whole thing, but I was really  uncomfortable throughout the entire awkward conversation.  But  who knows, maybe it had some sort of an impact on our neighbor.  I often call Kenzie my little missionary, and come to think if it, I haven't seen the neighbor outside smoking since.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment