I had offered to help the the Yester Year celebration at Kyle's school, but I had never heard anything more about it, so I figured that they didn't need my help. So when Kyle handed me this piece of paper at 8:12 PM on Thursday night I was a little surprised.
It meant that I had roughly 1 hours to figure out some sort of a pioneer costume. After about 30 seconds though, I realized that there was absolutely no way that I was going to pull off looking like a pioneer in the morning. So I found my longest maxi dress, and a t-shirt to go under it, and called it good. When I got there, the kids got put into different groups, and I got to walk around with the group that Kyle was in.
I may be a little biased, but I happen to think that Kyle makes a pretty adorable giant pioneer boy :)
The first stop for Kyle was dancing. It was fun to watch him, and he was actually pretty good at it!
Then it was time for the wagon ride. It was a lot of fun!
Next it was time for pioneer games! This one was the boot toss.
There was also a three legged race...
And a potato sack race.
Then we went to a class where we learned about quilting, and took turns getting our pioneer pictures taken.
Then it was time to learn about pioneer cooking with Dutch ovens. We got to eat biscuits, stew, and rootbeer. The butter for the biscuits was butter that the kids had made in class. The food was delicious, and this was Kyle's favorite part of the day!
Then it was off to the pioneer museum where we got to try out a lot of the things that pioneers used in their daily lives.
Kyle loved panning for gold!
He also loved making flour.
This is the gold that he found.
Making yarn. Kyle didn't like this one so much. :)
Kyle really liked this table. It was full of pioneer toys!
This one was really fun too! H got to practice rolling out dough, and cutting biscuits.
Then it was time for soap carving. Kyle had done this before, so he was really excited that he already knew what he was doing.
He made a fish!
Then it was time to make drawstring bags.
Then it was time for the 5th graders to go to lunch, and for the parents and 5th grade teachers to eat lunch in one of the classrooms. They had pizza, salad, cookies, and drinks.
The teachers at my kids school are seriously amazing, and the 5th grade teachers really did an amazing job putting together such an awesome day! It was really a lot of fun to get to spend a few hours experiencing a little bit of what it was like to be a pioneer!









































No comments:
Post a Comment