Sunday, September 21, 2014

Are You Kidding Me?!

On Friday afternoon shortly after we got home from school, there was a knock on the front door

It was my neighbor who lives in the next building over. She also happens to almost be my cousin. I say almost because my moms brother is married to her dad's sister. We're not even really related, but according to her we are. 

Anyway, I opened the door, and the first thing out of her mouth was "hey cuz"

She proceeded to invite us to a pool party she was having the next day. She said it would be lots of fun with fruit and snacks for the kids.   

I don't really know her all that well, but I felt obligated to go since she had come over to personally invite us. And besides it was a swimming party at our own pool, how bad could it be?  

The next day we got there, the kids jumped in the pool and I headed over to the patio to find a shady seat to watch them from. 

There were two other adults there, the girl throwing the party, and some guy. 

It quickly became clear that nobody else was coming, so I found a way to politely let it be known that we only had an hour to stay because we had a baby shower to go to. 

And that's when it happened...

She said well I have you here today because I want you to watch a 20 minute video. Then we will talk about it. 

I am a very cautious person by nature, and immediately all arm bells started going off in my head  I knew it had to be something she wanted to sell me, I just wasn't sure what. So I turned myself so I could see both my kids in the pool, and the video, and settled in to endure it even though I already knew what my answer would be. 
Turns out she was trying to talk me into being part of some vacation pyramid scheme. 

I have never trusted those kinds of things so it was very easy to stay firm in my "no I'm not interested" answer. 

I was so glad when the time came that I had to go home. I don't mind so much that she wanted to invite me to be part of her team. I understand how those things work. But I am bothered that she felt it necessary to truck me into going there in the first place

That wS awkward, and I'm glad it's over!

No comments:

Post a Comment